Friday, October 19, 2007

My friendly "Bakala" Guy

For my daily needs.....aha.....I'm lying.....my weekly needs.....like eggs and bread ( remember Me Single?.....takes me a week to finish it!)......occasionally, I go to one "Bakala" (small grocery shop in Arabic) which is run by 2 Egyptians. I like going there even though there are other "Bakalas" nearer my house (run by sour Indians!) Reason being, they are friendly....always helpful and I get to practice my Arabic!

As I enter the "Bakala", I say "Salaam walekum" and I am greeted back "Walekam salaam". He asks me how I am, "Keif haalak?" I reply "Zein" good. I in turn asks him how he is doing and I say it the Egyptian way, "Zeiyak?". Yes, from one country to another apart from the accent there is a slight difference in the spoken Arabic.

I pick up the eggs, milk, bread, juice.....he helps me with the tin of beans high up on the shelf. I like the personal service that I get. Prices in the "Bakalas" are a little higher than the Supermarket but then I am not doing any major shopping here. The total amounts to Kd 5.150 but he says I can give him Kd 5.000 only! I return home... happy with my discount!

2 comments:

ra said...

at first i thought i saw bakla.
need to get my eyes checked

lauren bergold said...

isn't it nice when shopping is a pleasant experience?! i too will go out of my way (& spend a little more) to patronize a nice shopkeeper! hooray for "bakala guy"!!!