Sunday, October 14, 2007

"A Haircut?"

I have been meaning to, for sometime.......to go down to the Friendly Neighborhood Beauty Salon. Finally I got down there today.

I just wanted a couple of things to be done. To tell you the truth, I'm quite low maintenance when it comes to the "Beauty Salon" routine! Really! Perhaps, my growing up years had something to do with it?

I've always had short hair while growing up. Being an Air Force Girl, the length of my hair just stopped at the point of me having a "crew cut"! Dad's diktat - a student should not spend time on combing & preening in front of the mirror....wash & go it should be! Each trip to the salon was taken with a heavy heart and after every hair cut, I would have my tears rolling down my cheeks. I hated to have my hair cut!

Going to College.........to another city, away from my Parents constituted the freedom to do what I wanted/liked. I let my hair grow.......the length, ever since has been fluctuating. The texture of my hair is silky, hence it tends to fall flat and at times looks a bit lanky. To give it a bit of body, I have it cut in steps to give the bounce.....but then when I tie into a pony tail, it looks too thin! Hence, I have it cut straight....one length! Then, when I see girls with step cut hair, I again succumb to the temptation and head for my Hairdresser to have it styled.

My dream has been to have long, long hair cascading down my back...reaching my waist and perhaps even below. I nearly came quite close to realizing this dream......but reaching the Middle East, I headed straight to a Salon to give my hair a new style!

I now sat in the Beauty Salon.......the Lady asks me, "A haircut?" "No, not a haircut....I am growing it.........(again!) I will have it cut straight.........but not today!"

3 comments:

ra said...

funny, it was about the same when i was growing up. hair was always cut very short.

later on, the cap was my best friend.

now it doesnt really matter too much. its just hair, it'll grow back.

hey if u want, i can give u a haircut.

Chrisann said...

oh good grief you know odney!!!

lauren bergold said...

ah hair...i get exhausted just thinkin' about it! but, as ra points out...as long as it keeps growing back...and we never go bald...! hey, we've got better things to worry about, right?! still, now that you mention it, i oughtta go to the salon at some point! :)