Monday, October 8, 2007

Air Force Day - for Dad

My eye falls on the calendar.........it is the 8th of Oct! Wham! It hits me......today is the Indian Air Force Day! How could I forget this day? So, I dedicate this Post.....To Dad.

Dad served in the Indian Air Force, for more than 20 years. He took voluntary retirement as I was finishing my College. He started out his career here as a Fighter Pilot but ended up being a Navigator........I guess he got on the wrong foot of the Instructor! He was never the "Yes Sir" which would cost him many choice postings & promotions.

Dad participated in the Indo-Pak War of 1971 and did his part in the liberation of Bangladesh. He has also been fortunate to have remained as the Commanding Officer in quite a few places....as a young Officer. I still remember some incidents while he was the Station C O. The Driver would come to pick my Dad for work in the official jeep and at times Dad would have my brother & myself dropped off to school. Everyone in school would stop to look........Dad in his uniform made a handsome picture. Yes, Dad was a handsome man...........I'm not just saying because he is my Dad.......he was.....in his younger days....believe me.

Before joining the Air Force, Dad had been Assam (a State in India) Badminton Champion - Triple times...........now he continued playing as a recreation....and the Air Chief Marshal would especially ask Dad for a game in the evening....many a time. Dad's speciality, a backhand shot which many tried but difficult to give. He was also quite popular with the men in his Squadron........especially the Non-Officers...the Airmen.

Dad navigated the last flight of Fairchild C-119 Packet (Flying Boxcar)......from Agra to Delhi. The Packet was a Transport Aircraft but sometime in the 80's it was decided to put her away in the museum to make way for newer Aircraft - AN-32. Yes, Dad was stationed in Agra and from here he took his pre-mature retirement to pursue other avenues.

I remember, to celebrate the Air Force Day occasion, on a Sunday obviously (convenient for all!)....there would be a "Pagal Gymkhana" (Pagal meaning Mad in Hindi) or "Barakhana" (Feast) organized for all Air Force Personnel along with their families............a day where all ranks would come and mix together. Venue would be in one of the Hangars...lots of space! There would be games galore & lovely prizes to take home.........not to mention the sumptuous lunch! This was also the day when we could take a tour of the aircrafts parked in the vicinity! It was exciting!

I am glad that I am my Father's daughter....an Officer's daughter. Life in the Forces has taught me amongst other things....to live in harmony with people of all caste, color or religion (India being a land of diversity, the AF Camp had people representing nearly all the States)....the discipline one needs to maintain in life.... punctuality ........to be ready/prepared for any eventuality....... to fight for the honour........for the country....

Thank you Dad. I couldn't have asked for a better upbringing.

4 comments:

Shoonyata said...

beautiful...I would be proud if somewhere someday my daughter wrote that last line!

lauren bergold said...

i think any father would be proud to read this post! ...and just generally to have such a smart, thoughtful, humorous, adventurous daughter...! happy air force day, to you & your dad!

(ps: i love the phrase "pagal barakhana"! i enjoy a mad feast every now & again!) :)

Mirandian said...

Thanks Shoonyata &
Thanks Lauren for the compliments!

Wide Angle said...

Great Blog, It was 9 pm and here it is late, I read it out to Dad at his bedside as he was about to sleep, he loved it, I could see tears in his eyes, he asked me to tell you that he is very proud of you.