Saturday, November 3, 2007

Facebook Craze

Facebook.....is this a craze thats going to last?.....only time will tell. My networking till very recently has been limited to a couple of mails or IMing once in a while....again to a couple of friends. Once in a gathering...someone asked me whether I was in orkut..........to be frank...until then I hadn't even heard about this word orkut leave alone be in it! I went home and looked it up....where else but on the net! Everyone seems to be there....all leaving messages for everyone else to see....photographs...testimonials?....whatever...so juvenile I found....not for me.

Then came a message in my mailbox.......someone had added my name as 'friend' in Facebook. For a week or so I ignored it......didn't have the time nor was I so into the net thing....but then I accepted. I could now see her photographs that she's posted there...know what she's upto, etc. For a long time it's been limited to me seeing my friend's photos and seeing her & her friends poking, gifting, throwing punches, graffiti .....and whatever games they would be playing.

Then another girl that I knew added my name....an orkut person who now took to Facebook with such an enthusiasm.........adding friends I guess was like chalking up one's Totem Pole! Then another message saying someone, with an unfamiliar name had added my name as a 'friend'. I didn't know who it was but soon discovered it was a friend that I knew...who was using a pseudonym! To touch base again, this was wonderful! Then I discovered a couple of more friends from the past...from my College days...my junior. A colleague adds me in, 'friend'....which came as a surprise....for some reason. It now hit me that I could be so easily discovered....I feel a bit apprehensive. Just yesterday, another friend who lost touch for a while, added my name to his list! I'm now elated...at being discovered! Everyone seems to be on it.........everyone seems to be doing it.

Facebook.........true to its name, people are baring it all.... there are loads of applications which you can add and take various tests...compatibility, your likes & dislikes, your knowledge on particular topics, quizzes, etc...for all to see. You could send various kinds of wall posters, videos all in the name of fun? Write on the walls for all to see.

I frankly don't have the time to take all the tests that I am invited to nor participate in any other activities which is ongoing....throw a pie, poke, hug.... Personally, I still prefer sending one on one emails. Getting connected with friends with whom we lost touched is the only best thing that has happened for me through Facebook....other than that....I have very little to do here or think very little of it!....but, to be in Facebook is like being so "Cool"?!

1 comment:

lauren bergold said...

well, i think you are very wise to use the features/aspects of facebook you enjoy, in the ways you feel comfortable, without being too carried away--or overwhelmed by it. i guess the same is true of all technology: it's great when you control IT...but not if it controls YOU! :) (having said that: where do ppl get allllll this TIME to facebook & so forth...i *swear* some folks are getting more hours to the day than i am!!!)