Monday, November 26, 2007

Earthquake rocks Delhi - Flashback....

I just got to read....Earthquake rocks Delhi & adjoining areas, early this morning...4.43 am...minor it was....4.3 magnitude and that there was yet no reports of injuries or damage.

Flashback - 26 Jan, 2001, New Delhi. I was residing in a Women's Hostel in the heart of the city. Early morning...I was still in bed....it was a holiday...National Holiday...India became a Republic on this day. I felt my bed shake....voices drifted by....running footsteps.....I was alert....could hear some girls saying that they were "going down...others were down....to come down....." I was living on the 3rd Floor. Having lived in places where Earthquakes were prone to come & go...thanks to Dad's various postings....this once in a blue moon...mild shake was not going to make me leave the comfort of my cozy bed....on a day where I did not have the pressure to get ready for work!

Being so close to India Gate, where the Republic Day Parade starts, on its way to India Gate.....I assumed the Parade Salute....start of the Parade...or something like that.....cannon/guns would have been fired....and the sound of it must have shaken the building. It never occurred to me that the tremor felt could be an earthquake. I was in fact irritated that these girls were screaming and running down the corridor.........making such a ruckus.....you know how some girls are....

It was only later in the day, we heard about the devastation the earthquake had left Gujarat, a State in the western part, bordering Pakistan. This was where the epicentre of the quake was. It measured 7.9 on the Richter scale. It was a sad day for all of us....

No comments: