Friday, November 9, 2007

Diwali

It's my weekend..........and today happens to be Diwali, the festival of lights....not that it feels in any way different from my usual day or weekend. I called my Parents. Mom was telling that my sis-in-law was preparing for the puja as well as to light up the diyas/candles in the evening. Yesterday was Laxmi Puja....Laxmi, the Goddess of wealth......don't we all need her to come & bless our homes?!

Now here in a foreign land....all alone.....as I stand on my balcony, in the growing darkness.....far away...in a couple of flats I can see the twinkling lights on the balcony which has been decorated....Hindu families....as they make a vain attempt to celebrate the festival. I can also hear a couple of crackers bursting intermittently and the sound of the rockets whizzing out in the distance.

I remember when I was back in my country......the sound of crackers, rockets & different fireworks would be all around as soon as evening approached. It would be so loud that one had to shout to be heard in the din.....and the street dogs would be howling their lungs out while our dogs would be cowering under the beds or under anything & in between, we would be consoling them saying that it was all ok. Each and every house in the neighborhood would be lighted up either with diyas or candles or with the modern decorative small light bulbs. Personally, I prefer the diyas....it's so very traditional and looks so pretty!

Days before Diwali....everywhere you go, you could feel the festivity in the air all around. Shops tempting you with all kinds of goodies....people buying new clothes, gifts.... Offices too would be enveloped with the Diwali spirit...bonuses are given out this time of the year, so there's more excitement... over and above the Diwali sweets & gift which one gets from the company. There's the traditional puja in the offices...after which the gifts are given....not much work gets done on this day............as people are busy with the puja, greeting each other, exchanging gifts...

My friend just sent me a message, "Wish you a very happy diwali." I wish I was with my friend....watching the lit sky from the balcony together......

1 comment:

lauren bergold said...

happy diwali...a little late...but with very sincere wishes!