Saturday, February 9, 2008

Working "8to5"

Everywhere else it's "9to5" while here in the Middle East where I work it's "8to5"! From the moment I arrive at my desk and switch on my PC....my job never seems to be done. Of course we get half an hour lunch break which we can take between 12 to 2pm....and which I seldom avail!

Mails to be read and answered. Various Reports and Analysis to be prepared based on which feedbacks and actions to be taken. Then, there are the phone calls that I attend to if the queries from the Stores, Warehouses are not directed to my Assistant or if she is unable to answer them. I even get calls from disgruntled Customers complaining that a Store was not refunding their money...after months! The Company Policy is exchange or refund within 14 days. Anywhere else, they would not have dared to but here in the Middle East they blatantly claim their friendship/closeness to the family (the Company Owners)..........even if it's a far off relative one would not know!

I guess the only time I get some relief is when we have our meetings with the Boss. Meetings are called "Ladies, let's meet for 10-15 mins" but of course this carries on for not less than an hour! "Sales are down....blah blah....what can we do to increase the sales?.....Promotions?....Stock transfer...blah.....blah.....blah..."

Weekend's come to an end. Tomorrow is going to be a long day. It's already driving me crazy.

Dolly Parton sings it exactly how it is...

Tumble Out of Bed and Stumble to the Kitchen;
Pour Myself a Cup of Ambition,
And Yawn, and Stretch, and Try to Come to Life.
Jump in the Shower, and the Blood Starts Pumping;
Out On the Street, the Traffic Starts Jumping,
With Folks Like Me On the Job From Nine to Five.

Chorus: 1,3,5.
Nine to Five, What a Way to Make a Living;
Barely Getting By,it's All Taking and no Giving.
They Just Use Your Mind, and (Depending On Verse) "They Never Give You" Or
"You Never Get The" Credit; It's Enough to Drive You Crazy, If You Let It.

Verse 2
They Let You Dream Just to Watch Them Shatter;
You're Just a Step On the Boss Man's Ladder,
But You've Got Dreams He'll Never Take Away.
In the Same Boat With a Lot of Your Friends;
Waitin' For the Day Your Ship'll Come In,
And the Tide's Gonna Turn, and It's All Gonna Roll Your Way.

Chorus: 2
Nine to Five, For Service and Devotion;
You Would Think That I Would Deserve a Fair Promotion;
Want to Move Ahead, But the Boss Won't Seem to Let Me.
I Swear Some-times, That Man Is Out to Get Me.

Chorus: 4,6.
Nine to Five, They've Got You Where They Want You;
There's a Better Life, and You Dream About It, Don't You?
It's a Rich Man's Game, no Matter What They Call It;
And You Spend Your Life Putting Money in His Pocket.

No comments: