Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mannequins to be 'beheaded'

Gosh! Some of the things that one come across in the Middle East...either it leaves you amused or appalled or frustrated or all three at the same time.

If you read what I read this morning in one of the news site, I did not know whether to laugh or to be indignant. Do not understand how beheading the mannequins would help in upholding the traditional & religious values.

Sharjah shops told to 'behead' mannequins

By Mariam M. Al Serkal, Staff Reporter
Published: February
19, 2008, 17:31

Sharjah: Mannequins in Sharjah shops should be headless and only model “decent” clothing, a Sharjah Municipality circular has stated.

The municipality has urged shopkeepers to abide by a ban that prohibits the display of mannequins with facial features, said a senior Sharjah Municipality official.

“The only clothes on display now should be decent and the mannequins should be headless,” said Khalid Al Jaberi, head of market control at Sharjah Municipality.

A circular was recently sent to all shops stating the heads of mannequins be removed and that they are forbidden to wear underwear, to uphold the traditional and religious values of the emirate.

more....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh is that a rule in sharjah!?funny!
nice blog.. and good to see another mirandian.. if u dont mind, which batch? i was hostellite too.. i left comments on ur other blog which i doubt u check..cheers!

Mirandian said...

Anonymous - Yes, it seems the rule would be implemented strictly.

Thanks for the compliment. Hope to see you here again!

Regarding checking my other Blog "Mirandian"....I get the comments by mail too, so I get to see all. As I wrote on my other Blog...I mean to update my Posts and I will one of these days! Cheers!