Saturday, August 11, 2007

Security Check

Just the other day I got a mail from an Australian Immigration Agency. They wanted my views on the increased security measures when travelling on a plane or going through an airport which can be annoying to many but I respect the people involved are doing their job to help maintain my safety and that of others. This reminded me of my return flight after visiting my Parents last year. My Parents stay in a bordering state of my country and security is supposedly very tight due to insurgency prevalent there. As I entered the restricted area to check in, (Dad & Bro were left at the periphery) I was approached by a “Cop” and asked whether I would be willing to help. Before I could figure out what to say, I caught sight of Dad inside the enclosure along with another man who turned out to be the “Police Commissioner” – Dad’s friend. I introduced Dad to the “Cop” who explained that he was wondering whether I would/could be a part of a “Mock Exercise”. Dad’s friend assured that it was all “OK” and it would be safe. I was to carry some weapons on me / with me and the test was to see whether these would be detected by the Security People at the Airport. They gave me a pocket knife which I kept in the pocket of my Trousers and a pistol which I carried it in my Handbag. They also gave me a document stating that I was part of the “Mock Exercise” and so I was protected legally. The Pistol came out when the handbag was checked after the x-ray screening was done but the “Lady Cop” who frisked me failed to notice the knife in my pocket. So much for Security!

2 comments:

lauren bergold said...

*YIKES*!

on the other hand...they can be VERY strict on the subject of knitting needles...keeping the world perfectly safe...from wooly cardigans! :)

Mirandian said...

Hmmmm........saved from the Wooly Monsters! ;)