Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Being Single

Jane Austen, “Single women have a dreadful propensity for being poor – which is one very strong argument in favour of matrimony…..”

Today, this is not the case with many of us Single Women. We are successful in our career and some of us make more money than the next eligible bachelor. Unfortunately, we are subjected to embarrassing questioning whenever we are in the company of friends, family and even total strangers! Having declared we are single (current status) they want to know why we are not married and then proceeds to give us advises on how the “clock is ticking” …..blah blah….we must “tie the knot”….our future….go through the matrimonial columns in the various newspapers… the marriage portals on the net…blah blah…give your resume…what kind of a guy are we looking?....Tall, fair, Doctor? Engineer?....

We know they mean well, but then….. Personally, at times I just want to tell them to “Shut up”! If it is to happen, it will happen….that’s what I say. I’m not against marriage…it’s just that it hasn’t happened for me. I would like to marry because I want to and not because I have to. If tomorrow Prince Charming comes along and sweeps me off my feet….. I know I will say “Yes!” Till then, I’m happy to go to bed with my books!

1 comment:

lauren bergold said...

you are--and this is no surprise--a WISE WOMAN! b/c once you *are* married...those same ppl will want to know when you're having babies...and if you don't have babies, "WHY NOT?!"!!!

since they will never be happy...best that YOU ARE (& of course jane austen gives good advice in ANY & all situations!!!) :)