Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday 13th

I was just browsing the news when an article caught my eye....

Friday 13th safer than an average Friday
13 Jun 2008, 0014 hrs IST, REUTERS

Unlucky for some?

Dutch statisticians have established that Friday 13th, a date regarded in many countries as inauspicious, is actually safer than an average Friday.


A study published on Thursday by the Dutch Centre for Insurance Statistics (CVS) showed that fewer accidents and reports of fire and theft occur when the 13th of the month falls on a Friday than on other Fridays.

more....

Now why this article interested me was not only because I like reading about myths and prejudices or that numerology fascinates me but because this particular day holds a very special place in my heart. This was the day I arrived on this Planet. Yes! I was born on Friday, the 13th!

I have had those funny looks on people's faces when I declare that I was born on Friday, the 13th. Frankly speaking, I love getting those looks! I am different! Personally, I think it's a great day to be born. It's the weekend! Everyone is more chilled out, relaxed and in a celebration mood!

In Astrology, Friday is connected with the planet Venus. This associates Friday with love, peace and relaxation as well as with emotional intensity and quashed dreams. Hmmm.....

As for the number 13, what can I say!? Lucky 13! I am born! However there's an interesting note that I read on this number.

In Sikhism, the number 13 is considered a special number since 13 is tera in Punjabi, which also means "yours" (as in, "I am yours, O Lord"). The legend goes that when Guru Nanak Dev was taking stock of items as part of his employment with a village merchant, he counted from 1 to 13 (in Punjabi) as one does normally; and thereafter he would just repeat "tera", since all items were God's creation. The merchant confronted Guru Nanak about this, but found everything to be in order after the inventory was checked.

Q.E.D. (quod erat demonstrandum).....I rest my case!

No comments: