Friday, March 28, 2008

Thai's the limit!

My youngest brother is just back from Bangkok! An official one week trip it was discussing social issues. He runs a NGO with focus on the health care of women & children. Writing to him asking how the trip was garnered a single sentence, "Yes, it was great." Now, I cannot for the life of me fathom what this means. Did he have a good time? Did he get to see all the touristic places and do all the touristic things or did he just meet all the local social organizations and discussed issues plaguing the society and the ways & means of eradicating the same.....thus the trip being successful, nay "great"? Though I am sure local sightseeing & entertainment would have been thrown into the itinerary?

I hope to one day travel to Thailand too......see the numerous Palaces and the Temples.....see the huge reclining Buddha covered in Gold leaf....take pictures....walk down the numerous quaint streets and taste the local cuisine. The closest I have been to savoring the atmosphere....my numerous trips to "Pattaya Beach", a Thai restaurant in downtown Kuwait! It's run by a Thai Couple - the wife calling all the shots! I love to start with "Tom Yam Kung"which is a spicy shrimp soup. I also like to have "Pad Thai" which is tangy rice noodles pan fried with chopped peanuts and with shrimps! (The Shrimps could be substituted with chicken or meat). Though most of the time I would order for a "Thai Green Curry" with shrimps. Green Curry (I guess it derives from the color of the curry!) is made with fresh green chillies and flavored with Thai basil and chicken or fish meatballs or shrimps. This dish is one of the spiciest of Thai curries. I also like at times the "Thai Red Curry" made with copious amounts of dried red chillies with bamboo shoots! Oooh! I love Thai food!

1 comment:

lauren bergold said...

ok...you realize you've totally made me want thai food now...and it's like 10am...so that's sort of a problem!!! :)

(lucky bro--i would also LOVE to go to bangkok!)