Sunday, September 5, 2010

Kunafa!

Coming to the middle east, I was introduced to this cheesy & sweet dessert called Kunafa for the first time about 8 years back in Kuwait and I simply felt in love with it! I have always loved cheese....all kinds... so it was obvious that I would favor this cheese based dessert!

Kunafa is a traditional arabic dessert and is quite popular particularly around Ramadan. Don't know why but during Ramadan many shops would make this dish in huge pans and just the look of it would be so tempting!

By far the most delicious Kunafa I have ever tasted were the ones in Kuwait. The cheese were real soft with a crispy layer of vermicelli on top and were bright orange in color topped off with sugar syrup. It was sweet but not so sweet and I could easily polish off quite a bit of it.


Two weeks back, knowing my love for this sweet dessert my friend prepared Kunafa just for me. The cheese was too little and it was more of the vermicelli. The vermicelli was too hard and it was tough to chew. It was a disaster but I was sincerely touched by the thought that went behind it. I will never ever forget this Kunafa!

Then today, I passed by Carrefour and I spied Kunafa in the delicatessen section! It wasn't that good to look at and now having tasted it, it wasn't that good at all!


One of these days, I shall learn how to make Kunafa. One of these days....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

just post as soon as you make Kuwait style Kenafa :)

I lived in Kuwait also and moved to Canada 11 years ago.. I have been looking for Kenafa in Canada but cannot find the same one I had in Kuwait...

Do you know what is used to make Kenafa look orange?

Mirandian said...

Ez, as for making Kunafa, Inshallah one day & then I will definitely do a post on it! For the orange color, it's just Orange Food Coloring!

Geet said...

Good to see that you're blogging again. This one on Kunafa made my mouth water...I don't have a sweet tooth, I have sweet teeth!
Take care, Geet

Mirandian said...

Hey! Good to see you around, Geet! Well, watch out for more posts! Am traveling currently (vacation)...Far East....so there's going to be loads of travel pics/posts!